
Money talks in this world, that's what idiots will say... But you'll find out that this world is just an idiots parade... Before you go... You've got some questions and you want answers...
For the last 6 years I have worked in Corporate America. Not only Corporate America, but in one of the major hubs in the world for wheelin' and dealin' and making money. Friggin' Wall Street... I remember being fresh out of college, 23 years old, and so excited to get this job. To be in the heart of the corporate world. I was in awe because it really was the place to be.
You wouldn't know it now. It is the gloomiest place in New York. What used to be the heartbeat and the pulse of the economy is now flat lining. Every single day miserable people go to their offices and try to seem up beat and positive, when really what they are dealing with is a burning in their stomachs. Their anxiety rules their insides. They are happy to have survived the last round of cuts, but they know another round is coming and they are praying that they aren't on that list.
Tis the season for tourists and so just like last year, Wall Street is now covered in tourists. They only want to see the Statue of Liberty, or the Bull, or the South Street Seaport. And as they ask you where those things are, you wish to be there not as a worker but as a tourist. They have no idea what kind of misery lies behind the walls of the buildings that they pass and take pictures of.
I don't want to sound miserable because I'm not. I am a paper pusher. I have pushed paper for the last 6 years and have done everything that was ever asked of me and I continue to do so. My issue today is with the guys running the show. Here's what I've learned... you don't need any knowledge of anything ever to be one of the guys who runs the show. Ever. Anything. You need to know nothing. You basically need to know how to lie real good. That's it.
The guys running the show are a bunch of guys who grew up on Staten Island who knew somebody who knew somebody. They got the job. Talked their way up because they knew someone else. And now, since every single intelligent person on the planet has been laid off because they get paid too much... It was cheaper to keep the morons rather than the people who can actually bring your company to the top. Un-friggin-real. I listen to them speak, not knowing of course what they hell they are talking about, and my jaw drops. They set you up so that you walk right into their trap and then reply "When did we start doing this? We never approved this!"
I'll tell you what they are... this is my analogy and I am sticking to it... You know in high school there were the jocks. And there was always one nerd that they picked on. And now that we're grown we know that the jocks picked on the nerd because he had the brains that they didn't have. He would always do good in his life without having to play sports. He could rule the world with his intelligence. And so to make him feel like less of a man, they shoved his head in the toilet bowl and flushed. And the swirly made them feel better about themselves. These guys, the big shots, the ones running the show, they are the jocks and we are the nerds. And I am so tired of the swirlies.
We are better than them. We are smarter than them. We know things that they don't know because we pay attention and care about our jobs. And yet, every single day, we are afraid of them. We are afraid because of this unspoken power that they have. See the jocks were cool because they were quarter backs and everyone was afraid of them. These guys have the title Vice President and so we're scared because with one phone call we are gone.
I know, I really know, in my heart of hearts, that these guys are nothing in their homes. They probably get bossed around by their stay at home wives. And that is what makes me smile when I hear them talk down to me and my coworkers. I tell them to go eff themselves in my head and that makes me smile too. If I didn't have bills up to my eyeballs, maybe I would fight the power. But for now, I will keep my mouth shut because it's what's good for me right now. And when this economy picks up and this company realizes that the people running the show have NO clue what they're doing and turn to us for help, that will be the day of redemption.
Until then, we march along in the idiots parade, the rat race, the crap economy and we just do whatever we have to do to stay in the game. One day that will change... One day the nerds will rule the world.
Thanks for reading...
For the last 6 years I have worked in Corporate America. Not only Corporate America, but in one of the major hubs in the world for wheelin' and dealin' and making money. Friggin' Wall Street... I remember being fresh out of college, 23 years old, and so excited to get this job. To be in the heart of the corporate world. I was in awe because it really was the place to be.
You wouldn't know it now. It is the gloomiest place in New York. What used to be the heartbeat and the pulse of the economy is now flat lining. Every single day miserable people go to their offices and try to seem up beat and positive, when really what they are dealing with is a burning in their stomachs. Their anxiety rules their insides. They are happy to have survived the last round of cuts, but they know another round is coming and they are praying that they aren't on that list.
Tis the season for tourists and so just like last year, Wall Street is now covered in tourists. They only want to see the Statue of Liberty, or the Bull, or the South Street Seaport. And as they ask you where those things are, you wish to be there not as a worker but as a tourist. They have no idea what kind of misery lies behind the walls of the buildings that they pass and take pictures of.
I don't want to sound miserable because I'm not. I am a paper pusher. I have pushed paper for the last 6 years and have done everything that was ever asked of me and I continue to do so. My issue today is with the guys running the show. Here's what I've learned... you don't need any knowledge of anything ever to be one of the guys who runs the show. Ever. Anything. You need to know nothing. You basically need to know how to lie real good. That's it.
The guys running the show are a bunch of guys who grew up on Staten Island who knew somebody who knew somebody. They got the job. Talked their way up because they knew someone else. And now, since every single intelligent person on the planet has been laid off because they get paid too much... It was cheaper to keep the morons rather than the people who can actually bring your company to the top. Un-friggin-real. I listen to them speak, not knowing of course what they hell they are talking about, and my jaw drops. They set you up so that you walk right into their trap and then reply "When did we start doing this? We never approved this!"
I'll tell you what they are... this is my analogy and I am sticking to it... You know in high school there were the jocks. And there was always one nerd that they picked on. And now that we're grown we know that the jocks picked on the nerd because he had the brains that they didn't have. He would always do good in his life without having to play sports. He could rule the world with his intelligence. And so to make him feel like less of a man, they shoved his head in the toilet bowl and flushed. And the swirly made them feel better about themselves. These guys, the big shots, the ones running the show, they are the jocks and we are the nerds. And I am so tired of the swirlies.
We are better than them. We are smarter than them. We know things that they don't know because we pay attention and care about our jobs. And yet, every single day, we are afraid of them. We are afraid because of this unspoken power that they have. See the jocks were cool because they were quarter backs and everyone was afraid of them. These guys have the title Vice President and so we're scared because with one phone call we are gone.
I know, I really know, in my heart of hearts, that these guys are nothing in their homes. They probably get bossed around by their stay at home wives. And that is what makes me smile when I hear them talk down to me and my coworkers. I tell them to go eff themselves in my head and that makes me smile too. If I didn't have bills up to my eyeballs, maybe I would fight the power. But for now, I will keep my mouth shut because it's what's good for me right now. And when this economy picks up and this company realizes that the people running the show have NO clue what they're doing and turn to us for help, that will be the day of redemption.
Until then, we march along in the idiots parade, the rat race, the crap economy and we just do whatever we have to do to stay in the game. One day that will change... One day the nerds will rule the world.
Thanks for reading...
No comments:
Post a Comment