This picture above was taken around 1993... As you can see, I'm very big and they're very little. I was a brace faced 12 year old girl who adored those babies better than any big sister could. Because we lived in different houses it was hard for me to be able to experience everything in their lives. These were the times that I cherished. Then I grew up. And I didn't go over as much as I should have. I missed out on the majority of their elementary years because I was so much older than them. I was busy clubbing and "going to" college while they were graduating from kindergarten. And I feel bad that I missed out on those times. Because they're really fabulous individuals. My sister is going to be 18 years old. My brother is going to be 21 years old. I'm going to be 30... ahem, 20-10. Life passed by way too fast. If I had known then what I know now, I would have held on to their childhood a little tighter. Despite me not being around that much for all those years, we are definitely siblings. Anyone who sees us together knows we're related. We're usually the 3 people marching to our own drum beats or laughing at the other one being stupid. We are getting older each and every single day, and yet we're the 3 biggest goofballs you'll ever meet. And I am so completely grateful that they don't hate me. We are each others biggest fans. We support each other through every endeavor. We are blood, and we show it.
Sunday night was one of the craziest nights of my life. The 3 of us set out on a journey that should have taken us an hour and a half. We were making our way out to the NJ for a Social Distortion concert. It started at 7 pm. We ended up leaving the NYC at around 6:30 pm. Contacted my Soul Sister and told her we were on the way. We were driving on route 9, hysterical laughing at something (which may or may not have been funny to you) and I missed the turn for route 18. I'll just turn the car around. Right. NJ is all about the jug handle U-turns. FINALLY found one, turned around and got on route 18. The 3 of us started laughing again about something and missed the turn onto 527. One wrong fucking turn. Brother updates the crackberry google map and says turn onto Cranbury Rd. We must have drove back and forth on Cranbury Rd. about 15 times. Finally pulled over at a Wawa and asked for directions. Called my Soul Sister for the 43rd time and told her we would "be there shortly". Got lost again. And then all of a sudden, like the glimmer of hope we were searching for, there out of the darkness was the sign... STARLAND BALLROOM. The 3 of us started screaming in a fit of joy, simultaneously. The best part was that we got there at 9:50 pm thinking that we had missed at least half of the set... BUT Social Distortion wasn't scheduled to go on stage until 10 PM!!
The 3 of us are convinced that Jesus wanted us to spend some good ole fashion sibling time together laughing our asses off... and that we did. My cheeks hurt! I'm telling you right now... if I had been with anyone else that night I probably would have been aggravated and extremely bitchy. But they are my blood. A tragedy turned into total comedy. We are cut from the same exact cloth. See? (That's our annual Christmas picture with Mr. and Mrs. Claus). I am seriously the luckiest big sister ever...
Sometimes I do and Sometimes I don't...Thanks for reading...
No comments:
Post a Comment