Monday, April 05, 2010

He's My Brother...

The road is long with many a winding turn that leads us to who knows where... But I'm strong, strong enough to carry him... He ain't heavy, he's my brother... So on we go... His welfare is of my concern, no burden is he to bear... We'll get there... For I know he would not encumber me... He ain't heavy, he's my brother... If I'm laden at all, I'm laden with sadness that everyone's heart isn't filled with the gladness of love for one another... It's a long, long road from which there is no return... While we're on the way there, why not share... And the load doesn't weigh me down at all... He ain't heavy, he's my brother...

Today is my little brother's 20th birthday. I can't possibly imagine how 20 years have passed. I can't possibly imagine having a better brother. This kid is absolutely wonderful in every sense of the word. And my world has been a better place since the day he was born.

There is a ton of shit that we don't know about each other. There is a 9 year difference in age and so I've done things before him that he was too young to hear about or understand. And so now he's at the age where we can talk about deep shit and he gets it. He feels it and he knows what I'm talking about. I can't believe he's 20.

He was my little colicky baby who fit perfectly on my hipand now he's grown. He was my sleeping bag buddy who used to lay with me and watch movies and have his little fingers entwined in my long hair... twisting away at it, sucking his thumb. And every time I look at him and speak to him and just generally be around him, I feel this huge sense of pride swell up in my guts. Because my dad and step mom couldn't have asked for a better kid.

He wears his heart on his sleeve. He's a sensitive kid who cares about everyone even if they treat him like shit. He gives people the benefit of the doubt when they don't deserve it. He loves with his whole heart, but stays strong when he allows someone to break it. I admire him.

I missed a lot of his childhood because I was selfish and was doing things that were harmful to my health... and I can't believe how close we are despite all of that. We are on the same page 99% of the time and if we disagree about something we are able to agree to disagree, understanding each other's point of view.

I hope he is having the happiest birthday today because there is no one on the planet that deserves it more than him. And I absolutely mean that with all of my heart. I hope that life doesn't ruin him. I hope he doesn't get to be jaded by life and all its bullshit. He'll get hurt, but I don't want anyone to ever be able to destroy the being that he is. He takes things with a grain of salt and chooses his words wisely. He doesn't say hurtful things even if hurtful things were said to him. He is good from the inside out and I am proud to be his big sister.

Happy 20th Birthday Michael. Thank you for changing my life just by being here. Thank you for showing me that there are good people in the world. Thank you for your kind heart. Don't ever change because you are already a valuable creature of this earth. I can't wait to see what the next few years bring out in you...

I love you Broski.

Love... Big Sister EESA

No comments: