Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Can Music Save Your Mortal Soul...

Did you write the book of love and do you have faith in God above, if the Bible tells you so... Do you believe in rock and roll... Can music save your mortal soul and can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Music... I can't live without it. Like, I don't think it would be possible for me to function without it. Music is always buzzing around my head. Always. There have been significant times in my life that broke my heart and I can't possibly imagine what those times would have been like without music to take me away from here. My mp3 player is chock full o'stuff. I favor the loud punk rock music, but if you looked at my play lists you would probably wonder what the fuck I'm thinking. But the fact of the matter is that I appreciate music. I appreciate what it does. It rocks my soul when I need it to. Point blank.

In my 29 years I've come to learn that people will ALWAYS judge your choices of music. People believe that when you pick your favorite type of music you have to wear it like a uniform. Best quote I ever heard was "Punk rock is not a uniform, it's a state of mind." I can't stand it when people say they are fans of music but won't listen to anything other than what they know. I had a friend that ONLY listened to hip hop music that was popular at that very moment. I remember putting on a Lauryn Hill song that was a couple of months old and he was all "WTF is this shit?!" A song doesn't come out and then go away... Just listen to Z100 with the way they play shit out. The truth about me is that I will never judge a piece of music that I haven't listened to... and you can quote me on that.

I think we can all collectively agree that there is some music out there that is just complete SHIT. Like when Tyra Banks thought she could sing... But whatever, there are people out there who like it. And I get that. The thing is I get really passionate and snobby when it comes to music. I feel like I need to defend the underdogs because I'm a Pisces and I'm crazy like that. I don't know everything about music and I don't claim to and I know that based on my choices of music I have no right to even say anything. But I know it has saved my life a thousand times over. That sounds dramatic and I don't mean for it to sound like I was just about to off myself and music jumped out and was like "DON'T DO IT!" I just mean that it got me through to the next part. The part passed the heart break. The part passed the tears. The part where the rain stops, the clouds part and the sun comes out again. That was an incredibly corny analogy but that's what music has done for me. It made moving through the process of grief or agony or just the feeling of life in general easier than it would have been without it.

To me, it's making the soundtrack of your life. Every movie has a soundtrack, right? Why shouldn't your life follow suit? I can remember every song that pushed me to a better place. I can remember the songs that kept me in a great frame of mind. And I can remember every song that let me wallow in it for a while. It's my soundtrack. It's in my brain. I am always searching for more. Each day of your life a new soundtrack is created. Wherever it is that I am going, it's there creating the day for me. It's there helping me figure it out. And that probably sounds really lame, but it works for me.

There is only one shot at this life. And I try really hard to get to a good place. I try really hard to smile and be happy because I have no reason not to. Some days are downers and go by incredibly slow. And then there are days that are phenomenal but go by too quickly. Every sad moment in my life was matched with a great song or album that got me through it. Every great moment in my life has some sort of song associated to it too. And sometimes I don't remember the moment until the song surprises me and I smile. And that's what music does for me. It makes my day every single day. I rely on it. I would even go as far as saying that it's my crutch. It still takes me away from here when I need it to. Life just gets to be too much. And admitting that it's too much doesn't make you a shithead. But you need to get passed it whatever way you know how. And music is the only way I know how...

Anyway, thanks for reading...

P.S. in my head right now is: Silence is the enemy against your urgency so rally up the demons of your soul...

No comments: